Doctor treating thyroid nodules

How often do you examine your neck? Whether you’re looking in the mirror or moving your hand across your throat, you can begin the first step towards ensuring that this crucial part of your body is healthy. It can also be useful if you believe that you have a common throat condition: thyroid nodules.

In This Article...

  1. What are thyroid nodules?
  2. What are symptoms of thyroid nodules?
  3. Are thyroid nodules cancerous?
  4. How do you treat thyroid nodules?

What are thyroid nodules?

Your thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland at the front of your neck that is part of your endocrine system. This system is responsible for regulating many of your body’s functions, including your heart rate, breathing, and energy metabolism, by producing hormones made by iodine found naturally in your body. When cells form in the tissue of the thyroid gland to create solid or liquid-filled lumps, they are known as nodules.

What are symptoms of thyroid nodules?

The majority of thyroid nodules do not create symptoms for patients. In fact, they may be discovered during a routine exam. That said, larger nodules that inhibit other portions of your neck may create symptoms such as:

  • Neck pain
  • Enlarged thyroid gland
  • Hoarse voice
  • Difficulty breathing and/or swallowing

Are thyroid nodules cancerous?

Most thyroid nodules are not cancerous (benign), with many patients not realizing that they have nodules given the lack of symptoms. Recent studies have determined that benign nodules make up over 95% of diagnoses. The remaining 5% may be considered malignant (cancerous).

How do you treat thyroid nodules?

The first part of your treatment is the initial prognosis. Dr. Lindsey Trefz, a CEENTA ENT physician from our Monroe office, explains this process. "Your physician will perform a physical examination of your neck in addition to an ultrasound to provide better clarity on the size, shape, and structure of the nodule. From there, they may recommend a biopsy (taking a sample of the nodule) to determine whether it is benign or malignant."

Thyroid nodules can be removed surgically for those that are cancerous, creating breathing/swallowing obstructions, or are cosmetically unappealing to the patient. This procedure can also be done for nodules that are inconclusive during the biopsy and need further analysis.

If you suspect that you may have thyroid nodules or would like a professional examination of your thyroid gland, reach out to CEENTA. Our team of ENT and thyroid specialists can examine your throat for nodules and guide you towards proper treatment. Schedule your thyroid appointment with Dr. Lindsey Trefz at our Monroe location today by calling 704-295-3000.

This blog is for informational purposes only. For specific medical questions, please consult your doctor. New patients can make appointments online with our ENT doctors in North and South Carolina. Current patients can also make appointments through myCEENTAchart with physicians they have already seen.


You may also be interested in

Daniel Morrison, MD, and Lindsey Trefz, MD, MPH have joined CEENTA
CEENTA Welcomes Daniel Morrison, MD, and Lindsey Trefz, MD, MPH

CEENTA is pleased to announce the addition of Drs. Daniel Morrison and Lindsey Trefz to our practice.

Read More
Dr. Nicholas Abt on WCNC's Charlotte Today discussing thyroid health
Your Thyroid Health | Nicholas Abt, MD, on Charlotte Today

CEENTA head and neck cancer surgeon Nicholas Abt, MD, appeared on WCNC's Charlotte Today on April 26, 2023 to discuss thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer, and overall thyroid health.

Read More
Dr. Nicholas Abt checking a patient's thyroids for thyroid nodules
Your Thyroid and Your Health
Read More

Leave a Comment



Back to News
This website is optimized for more recent web browsers. Please consider these upgrade options: IE10+(IE10+, Chrome Chrome, Firefox Firefox.
 Schedule An Appointment