Enter an email address below to share the provider's page with someone you know.
Dr. William Hammonds is an ophthalmologist and cataract surgeon who specializes in eye exams and routine eye care, refractive eye surgery, cataracts, femto laser-assisted cataract surgery, and LASIK in the Charlotte, NC area. He graduate from
the University of Notre Dame and received his medical degree from the Medical
College of Georgia. His internship was at Carraway Methodist Medical Center,
his ophthalmology residency was at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and
his fellowship in cornea, external disease, and refractive surgery from the
Bascom-Palmer Eye Institute. He is board-certified by the American Board of
Ophthalmology and is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He is
also the team eye doctor and LASIK surgeon for the Carolina Panthers and the Charlotte Hornets.
Dr. Hammonds practices in our SouthPark (6035 Fairview Road, Charlotte, NC) office. To make an appointment with him, call 704-295-3000. You can also request an appointment online or through myCEENTAchart.
UndergraduateUniversity of Notre Dame, 1997
MedicalMedical College of Georgia, 2001
InternshipCarraway Methodist Medical Center, 2002
ResidencyOphthalmology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2005
FellowshipBascom-Palmer Eye Institute – Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery, 2006
Board Certified by:- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Team Doctor and LASIK Doctor for the Carolina Panthers
- Team Doctor and LASIK Doctor for the Charlotte Hornets
Femto Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery: Femto Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery, or FLACS, replaces many of the steps during cataract surgery that require a blade and softens the cataract, allowing for an easier and smoother removal. In addition, the laser corrects mild astigmatism by relaxing the cornea at a precise depth, length, and orientation in a more precise and effective manner compared to manual, hand-made incisions. It can also improve the quality of vision by reducing some visual aberrations, it expands the visual range of astigmatism-correcting lens implants, and it may enhance the quality and range of near vision in extended range lens implants.
LASIK: Dr. Hammonds offers LASIK to patients who want to eliminate their need for corrective lenses.
Charlotte Magazine Top Doctors, 2021-2022National Keratoconus Foundation Top Doctors, 2018
Clinical Research Trials, 2006-Present:- Alcon – Protocol # C-05-04 (Corneal Infiltrate)
- Alcon – Protocol # C-11-020 (Toric IOL)
- Allergan – Protocol # 195263-006 (MGD)
- ICON – Protocol # C10-01 (Cataract Post op)
- InSite Pharmaceuticals – Protocol # C-07-502-002 (Blepharitis)
- InSite Pharmaceuticals – Protocol # C-10-502-004 (Blepharitis)
- Optinose – Protocol # OPN-FLU-CS-3204 (Eye Exams on Chronic Sinusitis Study)
- ORA/Alcon – Protocol # 09-150-0020 (Blepharitis)
- Pfizer – Protocol # A3921034 (Dry Eye)
- Pfizer – Protocol # A3921066 (Dry Eye)
- QLT – Protocol # PP DEV 05 (Health Subject – Plug)
- QLT – Protocol # PPL GLAU 12 (OAG)
- Rigel – Protocol # C-932348-003 (Dry Eye)
- River Plate Biotechnologies – Protocol # RP-001 Vismed (Dry Eye)
- Sarcode Bioscience – Protocol # 1118-DRY-400 (Dry Eye)
- SHIRE – Protocol # SHP606-304 (Dry Eye)
- Sirion Therapeutics – Protocol # ST-603-005 (Dry Eye)
- Sirion Therapeutics – Protocol # ST-603-006 (Open Label Dry Eye)
- TearScience # LF006 (MGD/Contact Lens)