Free Tinnitus Education Group Session
TINNITUS EDUCATION AND HEARING AID EDUCATION CLASSES CANCELED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
CEENTA – SouthPark
2nd Floor Conference Room
6035 Fairview Road
Charlotte, NC 28210
To RSVP, please call 704.295.3300
Feel free to bring a partner or spouse!
- Tinnitus: A perception of sound that originates in the brain.
- 10-15% of the United States general population report chronic tinnitus.
- 50% of people with tinnitus report that it is bothersome.
- Potential contributing factors: hearing loss, noise exposure, TMJ disorders, head trauma, some medications, ototoxic medications (toxic to hearing structures), chemotherapy, and neck/back problems.
- Even minimal hearing loss can lead to tinnitus. Helping hearing loss with hearing aids may help reduce symptoms.
- Aggravating factors: Stress/anxiety, noise exposure, thyroid problems, high blood pressure, sleep deprivation, and psychological disorders.
- Providing background sound allows tinnitus to be less noticeable. Sound therapy devices include the Sound Pillow, Smart Phone Apps, and nature CDs. Relaxation and physical exercise may help reduce symptoms.
- Utilization of hearing aids when an underlying hearing loss is present can help to relieve tinnitus.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy may help to minimize negative thoughts and behavior patterns associated with tinnitus.